Monday, October 5, 2009

Safe Medications to take in Pregnancy

I Get a lot of questions about what medications are safe to take during pregnancy. I have a form typed up that we give you at your first prenatal visit, but I will write them here too so here goes!

For common cold and flu: Tylenol (acetaminophen) plain not mixed with other cold remedies.
Sudafed, plain no other ingredients (buy OTC at your pharmacy)
Robitussin DM
Saline Drops
Benadryl
Cough Drops
* Do not use ibuprofen in the last trimester and do not use aspirin at all unless I have instructed you to do so and in what amount!

For Indigestion and Heartburn: Tums, Liquid antacids (Mylanta), Pepcid AC, and Zantac
Sometimes just a glass of milk does the job too!

Diarrhea: Immodium. Try the BRAT diet too (bananas, rice, applesauce toast). Avoid spicy or greasy foods and fruit juices as these may worsen the diarrhea.

Constipation: Colace stool softeners (Dulcolax), Dulcolax or glycerin suppositories, and Metamucil or fibercon tablets. Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Vaginal Yeast Infection: OTC Monistat 3 or 7 day cream. You can call me as well and I can call you in a prescription too.

Hemorrhoids: Preparation H or Tucks pads. I can also call you in anusol suppositories. Sometimes a warm bath will provide relief as well.

This is just a small list of medications for common pregnancies concerns. Please feel free to call me for any other questions on medications not listed here or for severe symptoms of illness.

No comments: